Thursday, June 25, 2015

Getting a Solo Parent ID in Quezon City

I am a single parent. Being a single parent is generally a challenge.  I take full responsibility in taking care of my child to the best of my knowledge and skills until such time he can fully take care and be responsible for himself.  Being a solo parent also has its benefits and privileges, some of them are identified in RA 8972 or the Solo Parent’s Welfare Act of 2000.  One can look it up on the net.  I was encouraged to apply for a Solo Parent ID now that my son is attending school for the first time.  He is attending school in one of the Day Care Centers supervised by the Quezon City Local Government in coordination with the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

Here are the steps in getting a Solo Parent ID in Quezon City:

1.  Go to your barangay hall and request for the Barangay Certification certifying Solo Parent’s residency in the barangay for the last six months.  I brought a government issued ID for identification.  I was interviewed by the Barangay Captain himself before he signed the certificate.  I did not pay anything for this certificate which somehow surprised me, but I'm happy that our barangay provided it as a "free" service.

2.  Prepare an affidavit of circumstance stating the reason for becoming a solo parent.  Of course, this must be notarized.  Prices vary for this one. It depends if you prepare/print the affidavit yourself or have the notary public do it from scratch.

3.  Have with you the birth certificate of the child/children you are supporting and death certificate of spouse (if applicable).

4.  You may need to bring income tax return or any document that will establish the income level of the solo parent.

5.  Prepare latest picture (1x1). This will be attached to the ID.

6.  Go to the Quezon City Hall Social Services Development Department (SSDD) - City Hall Compound, Molave Youth Home - 924-14-12, 926-93-44, 926-18-24, 927-15-88 and 924-14-40 (telefax)

7.  Fill-up an application form to be given by the social worker.  Along with this, you must submit the items indicated above (items 1 to 4).  You will be given a telephone number to check if you have been approved and if your ID is ready.  The social worker told me to wait for a week.

8.  After a week, I went to pick up my Solo Parent ID.  They asked me to sign a logbook.

I also encourage other solo parents out there to apply for a solo parent ID so that the government may have an idea how big the population of solo parents are in Quezon City.  Such will help them establish or create projects relevant to single parents.

Please note that a "solo parent", as defined by RA 8972 is (copied from http://www.gov.ph/services/solo-parent/):

1.  A woman who gives birth as a result of rape and other crimes against chastity even without a final conviction of the offender, provided that mother keeps and raises the child.

2.  Parent left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood due to the following circumstances:
a. Due to death of spouse.
b. Spouse is detained or is serving sentence for a criminal conviction for at least one (1) year.
c. Physical and/or mental incapacity of spouse as certified by a public medical practitioner.
d. Legal separation or de facto separation from spouse for at least one (1) year, as long as he/she is entrusted with the custody of the children.
e. Declaration of nullity or annulment of marriage as decreed by a court or by a church as long as he/she is entrusted with the custody of the children.

3.  Unmarried mother/father who has preferred to keep and rear her/his child/children instead of having others care for them or give them up to a welfare institution.

4.  Any other person who solely provides parental care and support to a child or children.

5.  Any family member who assumes the responsibility of head of family as a result of the death, abandonment, disappearance or prolonged absence of the parents or solo parent.

8 comments:

  1. Hi already have solo parent id. Do you know what is the requirements for renewal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't have an idea yet. Maybe you should renew/update all of the above requirements if needed and present it again along with your Solo parent ID.

      Delete
  2. Hi I am Belle! This is very helpful. May I ask if they interviewed you at the City hall as to how you became a solo parent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, there was no interview asking how I became a solo parent.

      Delete
  3. Hello. Do u have a sample affidavit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I am a solo parent of 2 kids. What if I am living here in QC, working, while my kids are in the province with my parents but all the financial obligations are from me? Will they also consider me? Though I already have a Solo Parent ID from our province and wanted to renew it here in QC next year. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if i dont have proof of income?? I am a sampaguita vendor..

    ReplyDelete